Friday, June 15, 2012

The Wolves Within

Peace,
So...while I was watching my children jump up and down along the beach today, sometimes giggling with glee, sometimes staring curiously at some creature and sometimes, of course, pinching or kicking eachother(lol)... I was thinking about mathematics and how we know what we can and can not affect, what changes we can make to ensure homeostasis and what we need to stand our ground on with all that we are to ensure equilibrium. My thoughts went to this particular legend that my papi always said was important...only we know our true power and the limits of our abilities. Sometimes, as a parent I have to make choices about whether to let them fight it out or try to enforce a code of peace...today, I chose to let them both know that they alone control their experience and that the wolf they feed will win. They kissed and made up. Okay, they didn't kiss...they just decided that I was the enemy and that crab running by was really neat. Lol. At any rate, the legend is as follows:



An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at a friend who had done him an injustice, "Let me tell you a story.

I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do.

But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times." He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me. One is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him, and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way.

But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger,for his anger will change nothing.

Sometimes, it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."

No comments:

Post a Comment